Alfred built up his business and his reputation during the early 1900’s when pie mash and liquor shops really started to flourish. In 1936 Alfred decided to pass the business to his two sons Robert (Bob) and George and both continued the family tradition. In 1952, another shop was opened in Greenwich at the same time as the Cutty Sark was placed in dry dock.
For a time, pies were cooked in the Deptford shop and transported by van to Greenwich. After a couple of years the two brothers decided to take one shop each and Bob Goddard (our Grandfather) took the Greenwich shop while his brother remained in Deptford.